- Deborah Taylor Tate
- May 2020
- Link to Focus-36-2c1 (PDF)
- Link to Focus-Plus-36-2 (PDF)
The state court justice system is now the largest source of treatment referrals for substance use disorder in the United States. These courts are in a position to play a crucial role in addressing the opioid epidemic. Addiction to illegal and legally obtained opioids is not solely a criminal justice issue, but affects every part of the court system.
- The state court justice system is the largest source of referrals to treatment for substance use disorder in the United States and is thus well-situated to develop innovative ways of addressing the opioid epidemic.
- Substance use disorder affects every part of the court system, not just criminal justice, including referrals to foster care.
- Addiction to other substances and mental health issues must also be considered in any strategies to address the opioid crisis.
Court System, Health, Justice System, Mental Health & Substance Abuse