University of Wisconsin–Madison

Arrears & Related Policy

Non- or partial-payment of child support owed or related fees (e.g. for health care costs associated with a child’s birth) owed can lead to child support debt, known as “arrears.” Arrears may be owed to children and their custodial parents and/or to government. States are mandated to pursue the collection of and enforce court orders related to both current child support and child support arrears owed.