Poverty & Family Functioning Research Network Meeting
2018 Fall Research Workshop:
Poverty and Brain Development in Children
September 26–27, 2018
Please save this page for future reference, additional important information may be posted here in the future
The Poverty and Family Functioning Research Network Meeting will begin on Wednesday, September 26, at 12:00 p.m. and will adjourn at 5:00 p.m. View the Network Meeting Agenda.
The Fall Research Workshop: Poverty and Brain Development in Children will be held on September 27. Registration and breakfast begin at 8:30 a.m. Convening begins at 9:00 and goes until 1:30 p.m. View the Workshop working agenda.
Both events will be held at the Memorial Union on the UW campus.
Meeting and Workshop Registration
All invited participants should complete the Network Meeting and Workshop on-line registration form, no later than August 23, 2018.
IRP will pay the transportation expenses of participants traveling from within the U.S., subject to University of Wisconsin regulations.
Air Travel: If you are traveling by air, you must book your ticket through the University of Wisconsin’s contracted travel agency, Fox World Travel, by September 4. If tickets are not booked by this date, the full cost may not be covered. The tickets booked through Fox World Travel are billed directly to IRP. Provide the Group Code below when making a reservation.
Fox World Travel
Hours: 7:00 am-5:30 pm (CST), M-F
Toll-Free: 866-230-8787 (select option 4)
Please reference: GROUP CODE 09UW2455 when making a reservation
Important: Air Travel arranged through other than Fox World Travel cannot, and will not, be reimbursed.
Please keep the following in mind when making your travel plans:
- Arrivals on the morning of Wednesday, September 26, are anticipated and encouraged, taking into account the meeting start time of 12 p.m. If you have a long flight time, you may arrive on September 25th. There are a limited amount of hotel rooms for those arriving on the 25th.
- Departures should be scheduled for the evening of September 26, taking into account the scheduled 5:00 p.m. meeting adjournment. If you are staying for the Network dinner and/or the Research Workshop, you should depart on September 27 taking into account the 1:30 p.m. meeting adjournment.
- It is about a 20-minute taxi ride from the UW campus to the Dane County Airport.
- Indirect routing and/or extra stops for personal reasons are allowed, provided there are no additional costs incurred. A cost comparison for direct round-trip travel, obtained through Fox World Travel at the time of booking is required. Fares will be compared and any additional expense for personal travel will be the responsibility of the traveler at the time of purchase.
- Departing earlier/returning later than business requires: It is acceptable to depart a day early and/or return a day late if it results in a substantial savings in airfare to offset the extra costs of the room, meals, etc. Travelers are responsible for any extra lodging reservations and expenses.
- Reservations must be made in coach/economy class (no first/business class). Seat assignment fees for premium class travel are not reimbursable.
- Costs associated with the following are allowed with proper documentation: baggage fee for one bag within the airlines’ weight and size limits and change/cancellation fees due to events outside of traveler’s control.
Mileage for Private Vehicles: Mileage will be reimbursed at the rate of $0.54/mile. The daily originating location and destination must be provided and, if mileage exceeds the most direct route, an explanation is required. If coming from long distances, reimbursement will be limited to the lowest cost means of travel, including air.
Car Rental: UW travel regulations are especially restrictive with regard to car rental, and it will only be allowed if it is the most cost-effective means of transportation. The University’s car rental contracts must be used to be eligible for reimbursement. If you plan to claim reimbursement on a rental car, please contact Dana Connelly for more information. Rental cars not reserved through the University’s contracts with National and Enterprise will not be reimbursed.
Bus/Subways/Taxi Service: Reimbursement is limited to the lowest cost, most reasonable form of public or commercial transportation options. Traveler can be reimbursed for ride sharing services (e.g. Uber, Lyft). Use of premium ride sharing services (e.g. Uber Select, Lyft Premier) are not reimbursable. Tips are limited to 20%. Charges in excess of $25 require a receipt. Please provide to/from information for all expenses.
If there isn’t a taxi available at the airport, you may contact any of the following taxi companies:
- Union Cab: 608-242-2000
- Green Cab: 608-255-1234
- Lyft and Uber are available in Madison, including the airport
Parking/Tolls: Charges in excess of $25 require a receipt.
Lodging will be available for all participants at the Best Western Plus InnTowner for one night, September 26. Reservations will be secured through completion of the on-line registration form; rooms will be billed directly to IRP. There are a limited number of hotel rooms available the night of the 25th for those with long flight times, which makes it difficult to arrive the morning of the 26th. You will receive a reservation confirmation via email from the hotel by early September.
Best Western Plus InnTowner
2424 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53726
Check in time: 3:00 pm
Check out time: 12:00 pm
(credit card needed at check in for any incidentals)
Parking: complimentary on-site parking available.
Airport Shuttle: complimentary airport shuttle, call hotel to request a pick up upon arrival at Dane County Airport. If shuttle is not available, cab service will be charged to the hotel. Tell the cab driver to take the invoice to the hotel front desk for payment upon arrival. (Please use a taxi service and not Uber or Lyft for hotel transportation.)
Please note that UW travel regulations do not permit us to pay for the expenses of a spouse or guest, for any incidental expenses incurred at the hotel, or for extended hotel stays. If you have an extra guest in your room, you will be responsible for the extra person charge upon check out.
Delays/Cancellations: If you have to cancel your trip, please inform Dana Connelly, 608-262-6358, as soon as possible, and not later than Friday, September 21, so we can alert the hotel and avoid cancellation fees. If you experience travel delays and won’t be able to check in on the day of your reservation, please contact the hotel directly to inform them of your plans, so that your reservation is not cancelled.
The workshop will take place at the Memorial Union:
University of Wisconsin–Madison
800 Langdon Street
Madison, WI 53706
Event Services: (608) 265-3000
Meals & Refreshments
- Lunch, and snacks will be provided at the Memorial Union during the Network meeting on September 26.
- A group dinner will be held for Network members the evening of the September 26. More information will be provided closer to the event.
- Breakfast, lunch, and snacks will be provided at the Memorial Union on September 27.
- Participants who arrive on September 25 will be on their own for dinner. Please see a list of local Madison restaurants for dining options. Taxi fares to restaurants are not reimbursable (but are included in the Meal & Incidental Per Diem)
- If you have any dietary restrictions or special needs, please let us know in advance through the online registration form.
- Meal & Incidental Expense (M&IE) Per Diem: Reimbursement for meals not provided during the conference and for certain incidentals during travel will be paid on a per-diem basis for those requesting reimbursement of travel expenses. First and last travel days are pro-rated at 75% of the per diem. The per diem is also reduced for meals provided by IRP. No meal receipts are required. Participants are asked to refrain from paying for other participant’s meals and requesting reimbursement for those meals. Doing so will complicate and may delay the reimbursement process.
Travel Reimbursement Process
UW regulations require anyone seeking a travel reimbursement to provide a Non-Employee Profile Set-up Form. If you filled this out already from a prior UW event, you do NOT need to fill this out again, unless you have a new home address. If you have moved and need to update your profile, submit a Profile Change Form.
Nonemployee Profile Set-up Form (PDF File)
Non-Employee Profile Change Form (PDF File)
Travel Reimbursement Request Form (PDF File)
To expedite reimbursement, please return the Non-Employee Profile Set-up Form and the Travel Reimbursement Request Form and receipts by October 31, 2018. Reimbursement usually takes 3-4 weeks after we receive your form and receipts. Please send the forms and required receipts to Dana Connelly.
As a reminder, if you are requesting IRP cover your travel expenses, and are traveling by air, you must book your ticket through the University’s contracted travel agency, Fox World Travel. Air travel arranged through other than Fox World Travel cannot and will not be reimbursed.
If you have any special challenges or needs, please let us know in advance, so we can ensure they are met while at the workshop. You can indicate these on the registration form or email or call Dana Connelly, 608-262-6358.
Dana Connelly, Events Coordinator
Institute for Research on Poverty
University of Wisconsin–Madison
3412 Sewell Social Sciences Building
1180 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Network Meeting Agenda | Research Workshop Agenda | Logistical Information
List of Madison Restaurants | Non-Employee Profile Set-up Form | Non-Employee Profile Change Form
Travel Reimbursement Request Form